[Gas] ASAHIKLIN AK-134a <General Name > R-134a
Asahiklin AK-134a is an HFC-type refrigerant with a high level of stability, primarily used in applications such as automobile air conditioners and centrifugal refrigerators.
- High level of stability
- Asahiklin-134a is stable against heat, and will not decompose easily. It is also chemically inert, and under normal conditions will not react with lubricants and many other substances.
- Asahiklin-134a is non-flammable, with no danger of ignition and explosion even if it is mixed with air in any proportion.
If Asahiklin-134a is pressurized after being mixed with air, there is a possibility that it could become flammable.
Therefore never mix Asahiklin-134a with air under any circumstances.
- Virtually no toxicity
- Research on the toxicity of Asahiklin-134a has been implemented through extensive toxicity studies by the Programme for Alternative Fluorocarbon Toxicity Testing. These results are summarized below.
• Its acute and subchronic inhalation toxicity are extremely low.
• After animals were exposed to the product at high concentrations for extended periods of time, an increased incidence of benign tumors was recognized.
• It has no developmental toxicity.
• It has no genetic toxicity.
Its 8-hour time-weighted average exposure limit concentration of 1000 ppm has been recommended by the Workplace Environmental Exposure Levels Committee of the American Industrial Hygiene Association.
- Under normal conditions of use, it has no corrosivity toward materials such as steel, cast iron, tin, copper, brass, and aluminium.
However, if it contains moisture, it will undergo hydrolysis and generate substances such as halogenated acids, which will show corrosive properties.
During use, avoid the introduction of moisture as much as possible. In particular, it would be safer to avoid use with magnesium alloys or zinc.
Furthermore, if its temperature rises, there will be a tendency for materials such as silver, brass, and aluminium to accelerate its decomposition.
- Excellent performance as a refrigerant
- Since its use will allow the volume of refrigerant to be small relative to its cooling capacity, it can enable refrigerators to become more compact in size.
If it is used for cooling, there will be no need to produce cooling water. Cooling can be performed directly by an evaporator.
General Name 1,1,1,2-tetrafluoroethane (HFC-134a, R-134a)
Chemical Formula CH2FCF3
CSCL Number 2-3585
Industrial Safety and Health Act Number 2-(13)-48
CAS NO 811-97-2
Refrigerants (automobile air conditioners, home-use refrigerators, vending machines, centrifugal refrigerators, refrigeration facilities, etc.), foaming agents, propellants
Cylinders: 10 kg, 20 kg, 40 kg, 100 kg, 1000 kg
- Physical properties -
- Material compatibility -
- Quality Standard Sheet -
Refrigerant Properties Useful Software (ARPUS)
ARPUS is a software for calculating temperature and pressure of AGC fluorocarbon products. It is possible to calculate temperature and pressure which is required for developing and installing air conditioning equipment, such as saturation temperature to saturation pressure, saturation pressure to saturation temperature, and to calculate superheating and subcooling. Please check the disclaimer before use.
Warnings for use
*Please read the safety data sheet (SDS) before using.
- This product is subject to the High Pressure Gas Safety Act of Japan, so be sure to use it in accordance with this Act or your local rules.
- If there is a leak of this product in large quantities, there will be a danger of oxygen deficiency, so quickly evacuate from the work site to an upwind location or a high elevation.
- Inhalation may cause irritation. If this product is inhaled in high concentrations, there may be a danger of asphyxiation or heart attack, and it may also cause cardiac arrhythmia, so be sure to exercise sufficient caution. If it is inhaled in high concentrations, move to a location with fresh air, rest sufficiently, and then seek medical attention from a specialized physician.
- The vapor of this product may cause irritation to the eyes or skin. Also, if its liquid enters the eyes or contacts the skin, there will be a danger of frostbite.
Therefore, be sure to wear proper protective equipment when performing work.
If it enters the eyes, immediately wash them with clean, running water for 15 minutes or longer.
If it comes into contact with the skin, wash the affected area thoroughly with plenty of water.
If it enters the eyes, or comes into contact with the skin in large quantities, seek medical attention from a specialized physician.
- This product is classified as non-flammable by the U.S. organization ASHRAE. However, if it is pressurized after being mixed with air, there is a possibility that it could become flammable. Therefore, never mix Asahiklin-134a with air under any circumstances. Although Asahiklin-134a is designated as having a composition that is not flammable, if it is handled using abnormal methods, its flammable ingredients can rise to high concentrations and it may fall within the range of flammability. Therefore, be sure to handle the product properly.
- Although this product is sufficiently stable under normal conditions of use, if it is exposed to open flame, high-temperature metals, etc., it may decompose and generate toxic, irritating chemical compounds. If any such irritating odors are detected, quickly evacuate from the work site to an upwind location.
- Although its container has a high level of safety, improper use can lead to serious accidents.
Be sure to exercise sufficient caution when handling it.
• Do not drop the container, tip it over, strike it forcefully, or roll it along the ground.
• Do not heat it to 40°C or higher.
• When not in use, close the valve tightly and attach the valve cap.
• Store it in a cool, dark, well ventilated area.
• Take steps to ensure that it is not improperly handled by unauthorized persons.
■ AGC Inc. (Japan) Chiba Plant
This product is for industrial use, and was not developed or produced with the intention of use in medical applications.
*Please refer to the SDS for more detailed product information.