R-404A <General Name > Fluorinated gas
R-404A is a pseudo-azeotropic mixed refrigerant composed of the three ingredients R-125, R-134a, and R-143a, and was developed as a substitute refrigerant for R-502 and R-22, used in commercial refrigerator equipment for low and medium temperature ranges. It possesses outstanding properties as a refrigerant for showcases, refrigerated vehicles, ice makers, and other equipment.
HFC Blend Refrigerants, Components and Features
|R-32||23 ± 2||-|
|SAMPLE||R-125||25 ± 2||44 ± 2|
|SAMPLE||R-134a||52 ± 2||4 ± 2|
|R-143a||-||52 ± 2|
|Boiling Point [°C]||-43.8||-46.6|
|Temperature Glide **[°C]||7.1||0.8|
|Handling||Caution needed||Relative ease|
*ASHRAE SSPC-34 tolerance
R-404A:Refrigerant for packaged air conditioners, commercial air-conditioning and vending machines.
R-404A:Refrigerant for showcases, vehicle-mounted refrigerators, and commercial freezers.
- Although R-404A was developed as a substitute for refrigerants such as R-22 and R-502, and since it does not have mutual solubility with substances such as mineral oils or alkyl benzene oils conventionally used in R-22 and R-502, there is a need to either use compound oils having mutual solubility with substances such as polyol ester oils, or to take special measures to return oil to compressors.
- Since R-404A is a pseudo-azeotropic mixed refrigerant, it does not undergo large changes in composition, but when filling equipment with it from a container, filling must begin from the liquid phase. Never carry out filling from the gas phase under any circumstances.
- If filling of R-404A is carried out from the gas phase, the risk of an incorrect composition causing damage to systems will result.
|Ingredient Name||Chemical Formula||CAS No.||CSCL Number||Industrial Safety and Health Act Number|
Refrigerants (showcases, vehicle-mounted refrigerators, commercial-use freezers, etc.)
Cylinders: 10 kg, 20 kg, 100 kg, 1000 kg
NRC: 10 kg
- Physical properties -
- Material compatibility -
- Stability -
If inquiring about product specifications, please select the following:
R-404A Quality Standard Sheet
Warnings for use
*Please read the safety data sheet (SDS) before using.
- R-404A is subject to the High Pressure Gas Safety Act of Japan, so be sure to use it in accordance with this Act or your local rules.
- If there is a leak of R-404A in large quantities, there will be a danger of oxygen deficiency, so quickly evacuate from the work site to an upwind location or a high elevation.
Inhalation of R-404A may cause irritation. If R-404A in high concentrations is inhaled, there may be a danger of asphyxiation or heart attack, and it may also cause cardiac arrhythmia, so be sure to exercise sufficient caution. Be sure to sufficiently arrange proper ventilation when using R-404A.
If R-404A in high concentrations is inhaled, move to a location with fresh air, rest sufficiently, and then seek medical attention from a specialized physician.
- The vapor of R-404A may cause irritation to the eyes or skin. Also, if its liquid enters the eyes or contacts the skin, there will be a danger of frostbite.
Be sure to wear proper protective equipment when performing work.
If it enters the eyes, immediately wash them with clean, running water for 15 minutes or longer. If it comes into contact with the skin, wash the affected area thoroughly with plenty of water.
If it enters the eyes, or comes into contact with the skin in large quantities, seek medical attention from a specialized physician.
- R-404A is classified as non-flammable by the U.S. organization ASHRAE.
However, if R-404A is pressurized after being mixed with air, there is a possibility that it could become flammable. R-404A must never be mixed with air under any circumstances.
Although R-404A is designated as having a composition that is not flammable, if it is handled using abnormal methods, its flammable ingredients can rise to high concentrations and it may fall within the range of flammability. Be sure to handle the product properly.
- Although R-404A is sufficiently safe under normal conditions of use, if it is exposed to open flame, high-temperature metals, etc., it may decompose and generate toxic, irritating chemical compounds. If any such irritating odors are detected, quickly evacuate from the work site to an upwind location.
- Although its container has a high level of safety, improper use can lead to serious accidents. Be sure to exercise sufficient caution.
Do not drop the container, tip it over, strike it forcefully, or roll it along the ground.
Do not heat it to 40°C or higher.
When not in use, close the valve tightly and attach the valve cap.
Store it in a cool, dark, well ventilated area.
Take steps to ensure that it is not improperly handled by unauthorized persons.
■ AGC Inc. (Japan) Chiba Plant
This product is for industrial use, and was not developed or produced with the intention of use in medical applications.
*Please refer to the SDS for more detailed product information.